Compressed air rifles have already been used for decades, and the technology they use has been evolving to adapt to user preferences, although something has remained quite concrete, concise and robust, which is the caliber used by air rifles compressed air.
Currently we can practically only find 3 sizes, although it does not mean that other sizes are not available but as we indicate it here, in practice only 3 sizes only those preferred by users and these are the following:
- The caliber of 4.5mm or 0.177
- The caliber of 5.5mm or 0.22
- The caliber of 6.35mm or 0.25
Although the final decision of which one to use is always going to be the user’s, we are here to describe and suggest the tips to make the best caliber option for a compressed air rifle, and it is precisely the caliber of the compressed air rifle that Defines what the weapon is to be used for.
First and most important decision..
- What are we going to use the gun for?
- Learn to shoot an air rifle and have some fun?
- To put an end to the elusive vermin that crowd our home?
- For sport shooting?
- For the Small Game?
- To kill much larger vermin?
When we already have the answer to these questions is when we are on the way to making the decision to acquire the right air rifle for our needs!
Let’s talk a bit about gauge sizes.
The caliber of 4.5mm or 0.177
Starting with the smallest, the 4.5mm 0.177, which is the best known, most used and perhaps the best-selling in the history of air rifle shooting, in terms of accuracy this size is the most accurate in general, since at a medium or long distance its trajectory is generally flat under normal conditions.
In terms of weight, as it is the one with the least weight in the available pellets on the market, it requires less power from the compressed air rifle to be able to launch it at the right speed, and at which it can achieve and even improve the results obtained with pellets heavier.
This size of pellet is frequently used for high-powered air pistols and CO2 rifles that are used in sport precision shooting.
The caliber of 5.5mm or 0.22
This is the second in the popularity list when it comes to user preferences. This pellet caliber has slightly lower accuracy performance at long ranges than its 0.177 predecessor.
, but for reasons of physics, due to its superior weight, the parabola effect occurs in each shot depending on the distance to be covered.
This type of pellet caliber is recommended both for precision shooting and for the abatement of small vermin or Small Game.
The caliber of 6.35mm or 0.25
When our needs to fight rodents, vermin go up a notch, and we must face larger predators to protect our farms, we must increase the power and opt for a higher caliber such as 0.25 or 6.35mm, this type of heavier pellet requires a higher power rifle so we recommend the use of a CO2 one, which can be more expensive but the power it transmits in each shot is worth having in your hands and feeling its power every time we use it for precise shots at medium and long distance.
We have achieved by choosing the type of caliber the type of air rifle that we are going to buy, so here we leave you good options to choose now that you know how to choose the rifle you want to use.
Gamo WildCat Whisper Air Rifle .177 Cal , Black
1 used from $129.99
- .177 Cal pellet single cocking break barrel, 1300 fps with PBA Platinum
- The IGT (Inert Gas Technology) is a gas piston that replaces the spring delivering more terminal velocity (1300 fps), less vibration, more consistent power and a constant and smooth cocking effort.
- This air rifle also features the well known WHISPER noise reduction technology patented by Gamo
- 4 x 32 Shockproof Scope. Gamo trigger with adjustable second stage. It has a synthetic ambidextrous all-weather stock with a rubber recoil pad. Lightweight design.
- 1 YEAR WARRANTY. Made In Spain
Gamo 611006875554 Swarm Whisper Air Rifle, .22 Caliber,Black
$148.73 in stock
- The GAMO Swarm Whisper Air Rifle features the IGT (Inert Gas Technology) piston that allows higher velocity, less vibration and a longer lifespan than traditional spring powered airguns
- The Whisper Technology makes this gun really quiet, and you will appreciate the reduced recoil thanks to the buttpad equipped with the Shock Wave Absorber
- All-weather synthetic stock with black rubber inserts
- Package Dimensions: 47.7" L x 7.1" W x 2.7" H
Umarex Trevox Break Barrel .177 Caliber Pellet Gun Air Pistol
- TNT (Turbo Nitrogen Technology) power system provides smooth and consistent shooting
- The 5-chamber SilencAir sound dampener is permanently affixed to the air pistol to reduce down range noise and maximize stealth
- Perfect air pistol for close range varmint control and plinking
- Shoots .177 caliber pellets at up to 600 fps
- Features adjustable fiber optic sights and a durable all-weather frame
Umarex Octane Elite Pellet Gun Air Rifle - Includes 3-9x40mm Scope and Rings.22 Caliber
- An upgraded version of the Umarex Octane; Features advanced Umarex StopShox anti-recoil and anti-vibration technology
- Newly designed rugged composite stock; Includes 3-9x40mm rifle scope and mounting rings
- Features the Umarex ReAxis power system that reverses the axis of the power system to generate more power, more velocity, and more impact
- The 5-chamber SilencAir sound dampener is permanently affixed to the air rifle to reduce down range noise and maximize stealth
- Shoots .22 caliber pellets at up to 1200 fps
Benjamin 397S .177-Caliber Bolt Action Variable Pump Air Rifle, Black
- New! All-weather synthetic Stock and fore grip
- Monte Carlo styling
- Variable pump delivers 800-1100 FPS
- Rifled barrel and cross bolt safety
- Fully adjustable rear sight
Benjamin Marauder BP2264S Synthetic Stock PCP-Powered .22-Caliber Pellet Multi-Shot Bolt-Action Hunting Air Rifle , Black
$459.99 in stock
- ALL-WEATHER SYNTHETIC STOCK WITH RAISED COMB - Durable, lightweight, well-balanced
- MULTI-SHOT, BOLT ACTION, PCP-POWERED - Has built-in pressure gauge and quick-disconnect Foster fitting
- TWO-STAGE ADJUSTABLE MATCH GRADE TRIGGER SYSTEM - Lever safety
- 10-ROUND MAGAZINE. The .22 Caliber Air Rifle designed to operate on compressed air as well as CO2
- DOVETAIL MOUNTING RAIL - For accessories. Also includes sling mounts