The doubt will always be present whether or not we are initiated into the world of sport shooting or small game with air rifles, and the question lies, as we always indicate, in knowing what we are going to use the air rifle we want to buy for. .
Previously we have talked about the types of air rifles and we have helped make the purchase decision based on this, it is good to review our article on this topic.
But today in this article we will see the difference between two types of rifles, comparing them one by one, and not all to all.
Differences between the spring air rifle and the Nitro Piston air rifle.
The spring rifle.
The spring rifle is simple, we break it, and in doing so the spring compresses the air in the chamber. When the trigger is activated, the spring releases the potential energy initially accumulated and pushes the air towards the chamber, propelling the pellet at the highest possible speed according to its design and technology.
The nitro piston rifle.
It has a similar way of functioning than the spring ones except for the part of the same spring, which does not exist in a Nitro Piston rifle, instead the chamber is loaded with a gas, the mechanical action of the spring rifle is reduced or does not exist, which greatly reduces vibration and helps to have much greater accuracy than traditional air rifles.
By having fewer mechanical parts, the nitro piston rifle will last much longer than a spring one, since friction is minimal.
In general, a spring rifle has an average lifespan of around 7,000 shots, while a nitro piston rifle can easily reach 40,000 shots on average, which makes it almost 7 times more durable than the spring rifle.
The nitro piston also slightly improves the shooting experience. When the spring is released, it usually generates a small recoil, generating vibrations and a loud sound.
The nitro piston releases air in a more controlled manner, reducing recoil, vibration and sound.
The spare parts:
This is a clear plus point for the spring rifle. A rifle spring is easily repaired or replaced. Spare parts are extremely cheap.
The nitro piston wears less but when it breaks it is not usually repaired, the spare parts can often be more expensive than buying a new rifle.
Gamo 611006335554 Swarm Fusion 10X GEN2 Air Rifle, .22 Caliber,Black
$251.48 in stock
- Muzzle velocity 975 FPS
- Whisper Fusion Noise Dampening
- IGT 10X GEN2 Quick Shot
- CAT trigger and 3-9X40 optics
- SWA Recoil Pad
Gamo 611006325554 Whisper Fusion Mach 1 Air Rifle .22 Cal
$231.41 in stock
- .22 Cal pellet single cocking break barrel, 1020 fps with PBA Platinum
- Powerful, quiet, accurate. Thanks to the IGT MACH 1 gas piston that delivers higher muzzle velocity, less vibration, and smoother cocking. It also features the Whisper Fusion technology, the quietest noise reduction technology patented by Gamo.
- Gamo 3-9x40 scope with RRR (Recoil Reducing Rail) - Absorbs the recoil of the rifle increasing the lifespan of the scope. Manual Safety. It is equipped with a Gamo 3-9×40 scope
- CAT (Custom Action Trigger) - Independently adjust 1st and 2nd stages, adjust your trigger to your personal preference, make it predictable. Comfortable all-weather synthetic ambidextrous stock.
- 5 YEAR WARRANTY. Made in Spain
Gamo Swarm Magnum G2 .177, Multi
$261.58 in stock
- Up to 1,650 FPS with alloy .177 Cal. Pellets. Rapid Reload 10 Shot Technology Break Barrel Air Rifle
- 10X GEN 2 technology includes our revolutionary horizontal inertia fed magazine integration.
- 10 shot Magazine: Simply break the barrel and fire for lightning-quick follow-up shots.
- Whisper Fusion noise dampening technology. IGT Mach 1 gas piston. CAT (Custom Action Trigger) two-stage adjustable. Gamo 3-9x40 Scope included with Recoil Reducing Rail (RRR)
- 5 YEAR WARRANTY. Made in Barcelona, Spain
Gamo 611006875554 Swarm Whisper Air Rifle, .22 Caliber,Black
$149.97 in stock
- The GAMO Swarm Whisper Air Rifle features the IGT (Inert Gas Technology) piston that allows higher velocity, less vibration and a longer lifespan than traditional spring powered airguns
- The Whisper Technology makes this gun really quiet, and you will appreciate the reduced recoil thanks to the buttpad equipped with the Shock Wave Absorber
- All-weather synthetic stock with black rubber inserts
- Package Dimensions: 47.7" L x 7.1" W x 2.7" H
Gamo WildCat Whisper Air Rifle .177 Cal , Black
- .177 Cal pellet single cocking break barrel, 1300 fps with PBA Platinum
- The IGT (Inert Gas Technology) is a gas piston that replaces the spring delivering more terminal velocity (1300 fps), less vibration, more consistent power and a constant and smooth cocking effort.
- This air rifle also features the well known WHISPER noise reduction technology patented by Gamo
- 4 x 32 Shockproof Scope. Gamo trigger with adjustable second stage. It has a synthetic ambidextrous all-weather stock with a rubber recoil pad. Lightweight design.
- 1 YEAR WARRANTY. Made In Spain
Gamo 6110017154 Varmint Air Rifle .177 Cal, Black
- .177 Cal pellet single cocking break barrel
- The Varmint features a long lasting spring piston able to deliver 1250 fps of muzzle velocity with Gamo PBA Platinum pellets .177 Cal
- Fluted polymer jacketed rifled steel barrel. Grooved cylinder rail
- 4 x 32 Shockproof Scope. Gamo trigger with adjustable second stage. It has a synthetic ambidextrous all-weather stock with a rubber recoil pad. Lightweight design
- Noise dampening: None