Things to consider when buying a Scope
Quality rifle scopes can cost more than even the best rifles and this is evident only by visiting a store.
But then again, good quality scopes can be found for less than $200.
Your price range and the type of range performance you need are linked, so paying close attention here is a very important point.
The quality of the glass, the repeatability of the turrets, the magnifying dial, the build quality, and other moving parts change the price.
Balance needs versus price.
If you keep an average shot at distances of 200 yards and will never touch the adjusting turrets you don’t really need a $2,000 scope.
But, if you’re scoring to shoot 1,300 yards and need all the low-light performance money can buy, then you need that $2,000 riflescope as long as your budget reaches,
The heart of any rifle scope is its reticle, or the geometry of the lines inside the optics that help you place your shot.
The first decision is: First focal plane or second focal plane?
Close-up reticles provide the same subtensions, or crosshairs, regardless of magnification, but some hunters dislike them because the reticle gets larger as magnification increases, which can obscure small, distant targets.
On the other hand, background reticles stay the same size regardless of magnification, which means those subtensions change with magnification. So you need to consider how you will use your scope. Hunters generally like background reticles, while snipers like close-up reticles.
Riflescopes have many moving parts, between the turrets, the parallax and illumination controls, and the variable magnification dial. In addition, they receive punishment by firing squad and other abuses from the camp. You’ll want to make sure your purchase is fully covered with a quality guarantee. Fortunately, most optics these days have fully transferable lifetime warranties, which means you’re protected whether you’re the original purchaser or if you got the scope secondhand.
Vortex Optics Crossfire Red Dot Sight Gen II - 2 MOA Dot , Black
3 used from $119.99
- The updated Crossfire is a no-nonsense sight for near any application and needs a simple point of aim and none of the frills, the Crossfire should be at the top of your list.
- With up to a 50, 000 hour battery life and night-vision compatibility at the lowest two settings, the sight will keep working in a variety of conditions. The low and skeletonized lower 1/3 co-witness mounts provide vesatility for this lightweight optic.
- The 2 MOA dot is quick to acquire in close-quarters, while remaining fine enough to promote pin-point accuracy at extended range. 11 illumination settings allows shooters to change the dot intensity to the situation at hand.
- Increased light transmission with multiple anti-reflective coatings on all air-to-glass surfaces. Unlimited eye relief for rapid transitions.
- Highly durable hard-coat anodization provides a low-glare matte surface and helps camouflage position. O-ring seals prevent moisture, dust and debris from penetrating for reliable waterproof performance
Vortex Optics Diamondback Tactical 6-24x50 First Focal Plane Riflescopes - EBR-2C (MOA) Tactical Reticle, Black
2 used from $402.24
- The Diamondback Tactical First Focal Plane 6-24x50 stands at the intersection of precision and value, delivering an impressive array of features and performance.
- Extra-low dispersion glass and fully multi-coated lenses transmit a crisp, bright sight picture. The first focal plane, glass-etched reticle keep subtensions accurate throughout the 4x zoom range.
- The precision-glide erector system uses premium components in the zoom lens to ensure smooth magnification changes under the harshest conditions.
- Exposed tactical turrets and a side parallax knob give shooters the tools needed for long distance precision shooting. The fast focus eyepiece allows quick and easy reticle focusing.
- The single piece 30mm tube is shockproof, ruggedly built to withstand recoil and impacts. Strong o-ring seals and nitrogen purging waterproof and fogproof performance.
Vortex Optics Diamondback 4-12x40 Second Focal Plane Riflescope - Dead-Hold BDC Reticle (MOA) , Black
1 used from $206.84
- The Diamondback 4-12x40 riflescope is one of multiple configurations in the Diamondback lineup and is ideal for big game, predator/varmint, muzzleloader, slug shotgun, and long range applications
- Dead-Hold BDC reticle is good for any hunting or shooting at varying ranges where estimating hold-over would be a concern.
- Lenses are fully multi-coated for crystal clear, bright images from dawn till dusk. The fast focus eyepiece allows for quick and easy reticle focusing.
- Metal on metal precision turrets offer the ability to zero reset after sight-in. A precision glide erector system ensures accurate tracking and repeatability.
- A solid one-piece tube with a hard anodized finish creates a shockproof and durable scope while helping camouflage the shooter's position. Argon purged and O-ring sealed the scope will deliver a lifetime of fog proof and waterproof performance.
Vortex Optics Sonora 4-12x44 Second Focal Plane Riflescope - Dead-Hold BDC Reticle
- The single piece, 1-inch, aircraft-grade aluminum tube offers a versatile blend of adjustment for a wide variety of shooting applications.
- The Dead-Hold BDC is good for hunting and shooting at varying ranges where estimating hold-over is a concern.
- Fully multi-coated lenses increase light transmission with multiple anti-reflective coatings on all air-to-glass surfaces. The locking diopter eyepiece allows the shooter to set and lock the eyepiece setting once for their eye and forget it.
- The hard anodized finish provides a low-glare matte surface and helps camouflage the shooter's position.
- O-ring sealed and nitrogen purged, the Sonora delivers water and fogproof performance. Rugged construction withstands recoil and impact.
Vortex Optics Venom 5-25x56 First Focal Plane Riflescope - EBR-7C (MOA) Reticle
- The Venom 5-25x56 First Focal Plane (MOA) riflescope is built for long-range and competition with a 5-25x mag range built into a 34mm tube for a massive amount of turret travel (85 MOA max elevation/windage).
- XD Optical System delivers impressive resolution, edge-to-edge sharpness and greatly reduces chromatic abberation. Fully multi-coated lenses provide superior light transmission for exceptional clarity and low-light performance.
- The RevStop Zero System offers an easy to set, fast and reliable return to zero. Side knob parallax adjust allows quick and easy parallax adjustments with range numbers visible while in the shooting position.
- EBR-7C reticle ensures subtensions are accurate throughout the mag range making it easy to measure and range targets.The fast focus eyepiece allows for easy reticle focusing while the included throw lever allows for fast transitions between magnifications
- Nitrogen purged and o-ring sealed providing water and fogproof performance. Armortek coating protects the lenses from scratches and oil. The one-piece, aircraft grade aluminum, 34mm tube is shockproof, shrugging off recoil and other impacts.
ZEISS Conquest V4 4-16x44 Riflescope with Z-Plex Reticle 20 Non-Illuminated with Side Parallax Adjustment and External Elevation Turret with Ballistic Stop - .25 MOA, Black
1 used from $799.99
- 90% LIGHT TRANSMISSION: Higher definition glass produces 90% to-the-eye light transmission, great low-light performance and excellent target resolution across the entire magnification range.
- ZEISS T* COATING: Guaranteed brilliant, high-contrast images, particularly in adverse light conditions and twilight. The coating is tuned to each lens individually for maximum clarity.
- A CLEAR VIEW IN ANY WEATHER: There are always exciting things to be seen in the world of nature, even in wet weather. ZEISS developed LotuTec as a coating for binoculars and scopes that enables a clear and unhindered view in all weather conditions.
- RETICLE #20 NON-ILLUMINATED: The Reticle #20 has fine crosshairs for precise aiming for long-range and in daylight. The posts are in the shape of arrows pointing to the fine lines, making it possible to aim with greater precision at smaller targets.
Zeiss Conquest V4 Scope, 3-12x44, 30mm Tube, 1/4 MOA, Z-Plex Reticle, Black, 522961-9920-000
- Zeiss CONQUEST V4 Scope
ZEISS Conquest V4 6-24x50 Riflescope with 89 ZMOAi-20 Illuminated Reticle with External Locking Windage and External Elevation Turret with Ballistic Stop - .25 MOA, Black
- 90% LIGHT TRANSMISSION — Higher definition glass produces 90% to-the-eye light transmission, great low-light performance and excellent target resolution across the entire magnification range.
- ZEISS T* COATING — Guaranteed brilliant, high-contrast images, particularly in adverse light conditions and twilight. The coating is tuned to each lens individually for maximum clarity.
- A CLEAR VIEW IN ANY WEATHER — There are always exciting things to be seen in the world of nature, even in wet weather. ZEISS developed LotuTec as a coating for binoculars and scopes that enables a clear and unhindered view in all weather conditions.
Zeiss Conquest V4 6-24x50mm Riflescope, ZMOA-1 Illuminated Reticle, Black, (5229559993)
- 30mm main tube
- Second focal plane
- Illuminated Reticle
- Waterproof and fogproof
- Tactical MOA Turrets
ZEISS LRP S3 6-36x56 First Focal Plane MRAD Riflescope with Illuminated Reticle
1 used from $2,124.99
- BEST-IN-CLASS TOTAL ELEVATION TRAVEL - The Zeiss LRP S3 FFP scopes are built for success in long-range hunting with a staggering amount of total elevation travel of 160 MOA or 46.5 MRAD for the 425-50 model 110 MOA or 32 MRAD for the 636-56 model
- ADVANCED OPTICS - With Extra Low Dispersion (ED) glass elements, Zeiss T multi-coated lenses, and 90% light transmission, the Zeiss LRP S3 models deliver advanced optical performance; LotuTec makes lenses water- and dirt-repellent and easy to clean
- BALLISTIC STOP/EXTERNAL LOCKING WINDAGE TURRET - Zeiss LRP S3 hunting scopes utilize Zeiss' proven Ballistic Stop to provide an absolute and true return to zero; they offer an External Locking Windage Turret that provides immediate access for wind corrections, with a locking feature
- DAYLIGHT VISIBLE ILLUMINATED RETICLE - A powerful daylight visible illuminated reticle, with user-selected option of red or green illumination is controlled via five intensity levels; only the center section of the reticle illuminates for a most precise point of aim
- COMPACT AND HEAVY-DUTY - 34mm main tube mono-bloc housing and up to 3mm main tube wall thickness; final validation of the design proves the Zeiss LRP S3 scopes withstand multiple shock tests of an enormous 1,500 g-force